Home > Uncategorized > Chromecast stuck Updating at 0%–What I discovered shocked me

Chromecast stuck Updating at 0%–What I discovered shocked me

The other day my Chromecast (Gen 1) decided it needed to update.  Unfortunately after leaving it all day the update had not progressed passed 0%.  I attempted all the standard suggestions to fix this:

  • Reboot
  • Factory reset
  • Reboot (again)
  • Try a different WiFi network

I couldn’t get it to work.  Then I found one suggestion to use the Google DNS servers (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) so I thought I’d try that in case OpenDNS were blocking the update.  While getting to the modem to change these settings I discovered that a recent update of my modem by my service provider (Orcon)  (they own the modem so they don’t really need to tell me what they are doing, so long as they don’t override my customisations on it.)

Anyway, I noticed that the updates included enabling IPv6 on my LAN. (I didn’t record if it was connecting externally on IPv6 or not).  On a hunch I decided do disable IPv6 services on the LAN settings.  Once done… Rebooted the Chromecast, and the update completed in a matter of seconds.

I’d would have posted this to the Chromecast forums, but I couldn’t find an appropriate place, or a recent enough question to post it as an answer too.  So hopefully after having this issue and you found this blog post, it helps you fix your Chromecast.

Advertisements
Categories: Uncategorized Tags:
  1. 7 January 2017 at 9:59 am

    Just purchased a Chromecast. It was stuck on zero. Tried everything suggested, found your post. Worked like a dream thank you for sharing.

  2. 14 October 2017 at 12:16 pm

    Hello, it worked for me too, in a few seconds, after being stuck for days on 12%. thank you for sharing

  3. SIva
    8 February 2018 at 5:58 pm

    I was fed up by searching many sites but none gave the answer but you are awesome. It worked great. Thank you.

  4. Grizzly Coleman
    18 February 2018 at 3:03 pm

    Having the same issue with my second chromecast, the one in the living room works fine, had it there a week without a problem.
    Setting up a new one today in another room, and it’s stuck on 0%
    Same router so not sure if i should change settings
    (Although no idea how to do what is suggested anyway! Old fart here)

    • 20 February 2018 at 2:44 pm

      Unfortunately I can only suggest you find a local tech expert as the variety in routers and setups is too great for me to cover in any meaningful depth.

  5. Nouman Aziz Khan
    24 April 2018 at 4:42 pm

    Hi,
    I had the same issue while fetching the update from Internet. I have checked my router setting and they are same as mentioned. But still the the issue could not resolved.
    What I tried it to only change channel on my router from automatic to any designated channel. After this solution my chromecast took 2 minutes to fetch data from internet and int running fine now. Hop this might help someone out there as well.

  1. No trackbacks yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: